street in alabama with trees on both sides flooded on both sides not able to cross
With Hurricanes back to back this year hitting some of the same areas, we are now experiencing flooding. Many may be new to this situation so your friends at SERVPRO decided to throw out a few tips from READY.GOV that may be helpful for you in your situation.
- Make a plan for your household, including your pets, so that you and your family know what to do, where to go, and what you will need to protect yourselves from flooding and COVID-19.
- Build a “Go Kit” of the supplies you will need if you have to quickly evacuate your home.
- Know types of flood risk in your area. Visit FEMA’s Flood Map Service Center for information.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system. The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio also provide emergency alerts. Sign up for email updates and follow the latest guidelines about coronavirus from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and your local authorities to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- If flash flooding is a risk in your location monitor potential signs, such as heavy rain.
- Learn and practice evacuation routes, shelter plans, and flash flood response.
- If you live in a storm surge flooding zone or a mandatory hurricane evacuation zone, make plans to stay with family and friends. Evacuate to shelters only if you are unable to stay with family and friends. Check with local authorities to determine which public shelters are open. Review your previous evacuation plan and consider alternative options to maintain social and physical distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Don’t forget to include your pet in your emergency plan. Remember that some evacuation shelters do not accept pets.
We use advanced inspection and extraction equipment and practices to find and remove water in a quick and efficient manner. Our technicians will monitor and document the drying process from start to finish ensuring your experience with us goes seamlessly. Weather can be unpredictable so being prepared is paramount to ensuring your property or business can return to normal after a disaster. SERVPRO will have your back from beginning to end in any disaster!
In the event, your home or business suffers 256-259-4333
a screen shot of Hurricane Sally's path and predicted wind speeds
Wow has this year had a crazy hurricane season or what?! We have parts of our production crew out right now working from the Hurricanes Laura and Marco. Right when we think things are slowing down we’re hearing news of another hurricane named Sally. As of now, they’re expecting up to 20 inches of rain with a possible 30 inches. What does that mean? Serious flash flooding and major river flooding could occur. According to weather.com flood watches have been issued by the National Weather Service in portions of the Florida Panhandle, southern and central Alabama, and southern Mississippi.
There’s a possible storm surge that can happen as well. There will be an increasing chance of isolated tornadoes from Sally on Tuesday, from southeast Mississippi to southern Alabama and portions of the Florida Panhandle. If you’re in that area we recommend you stay abreast on weather updates to evaluate if necessary. In the meantime FEMA recommends you prepare for a hurricane by having the following.
- Water (one gallon per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (in case storm damage results in mold or airborne particles in your home)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (consult your water or gas utility companies to learn how and when to turn off utilities with these tools)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local paper maps (in case you can’t access the internet)
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
- Fire extinguisher
- Change of clothing for each person
- Sleeping bags or blankets for each person
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Paper plates, cups, paper towels, and plastic utensils
- Paper, pen, and pencil
In the event, your home or business suffers storm damage don’t hesitate to give us a call! 256-259-4333
A radar shot of Hurricane Marco on the gulf
As many have heard, on August 23rd Hurricane Marco was declared a hurricane by the Air Force. According to the Orlando Sentinel, Marco is about 85 miles south-southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River moving 10 mph with decreased maximum sustained winds of 50 mph.
The storm is projected to approach Louisiana sometime Monday afternoon, the NHC’s 8 a.m. We urge residents in that area to stay up to date on the news and to prepare as much as possible for flooding and other storm damage.
You might be wondering what does a storm that far away from our location have to do with us...Well, did you know that we’re a part of a national storm team? We are a part of a national SERVPRO storm team whose members respond to disasters nationwide. From hurricanes to wildfires, SERVPRO storm teams are always prepared to respond to major catastrophic events. SERVPRO's large-loss response is uniquely qualified to handle any disaster. We are prequalified, experienced, and strategically located across the United States to respond to any loss. When an event comes to devastate a community, SERVPRO's goal is to be instrumental in restoring the community the best we can. We are here to help, so give us a call at 256-259-4333!
Can extension cords cause fires?
a power strip with multiple things plugged in on fire
Can extension cords cause fires?
Yes, according to the WMAR News, extension cord fires kill 50 people annually. Below you will find a few tips on how to properly use extension cords.
- Never overload your powerstrips
- Never plug in high power appliances into extension cords like
- Space heaters
- Microwaves & Toasters
Those things should be plugged directly into the wall.
- Do not connect multiple extension cords together.
- Don’t use indoor powerstrips outdoors
- Never place rugs over extension cords
- Discard older extension cords & don’t use damaged extension cords
In the event of a fire don’t fret we’re your fire experts! We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. Keep in mind in addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your home may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We’ll treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care. Give us a call if you or someone you know experiences a fire to their home or business 256-259-4333.
IS YOUR BUSINESS EMERGENCY READY?
underground pipe busted with water flowing from it
Many times businesses do well until something devastating happens that throws them off of their game. For example, a company had a pipe burst over the weekend. Monday morning they went to their offices and found over 3 inches of standing water. This issue had them closed for days. Not only were they closed but they also had damaged paperwork and other office materials that put them in hardship. Thus we’ve created an app to help out in events like these or worse.
We have an app called ERP, which means Emergency Readiness Program. This app is free and works on both android and iPhones. The best part about this is that it saves important information like water valve shut-offs and such in the event of an emergency. Having important info like that saved not only helps us move quickly but it also helps you realize where things are.
By developing a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business. Give us a call at 256-259-4333 to get yours!
WE'RE HERE TO HELP!
A SERVPRO EMPLOYEE WERING A MASK AND GLOVES GRILLING BURGERS FOR FIRST RESPONDERS. ANOTHER EMPLOYEE IS IN THE BACKGROUND
We pride ourselves on being apart of our community. Recently we’ve done two first responder lunches for police, firemen, and EMT. When we provide lunch it isn’t just a sack lunch. We provide chips, drinks, even corn hole! Yes, we have a little fun sprinkled in for the ones that work hard to keep our community functioning. Especially during COVID we’ve had various meetings and emails about how can we support those on the front line during this time.
Not only do we provide lunch for First responders but we can be seen throughout our communities in every state giving back and supporting those who are due support. So why would you not choose a company that has qualified employees, cutting edge equipment, great customer service, and solutions to your fire, water, mold, and even sanitization problems?
On top of all of that, we're a trusted leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO has over 1,700 Franchises in the U.S. and Canada that are ready to help. Our professionals have the advanced training and equipment needed to clean or restore your home. We also have the resources to respond faster to any size disaster and we’re here to help! 256-259-4333
Grill Safety Tips
backyard home with food cooking on the grill with family in the background and food on a plate to be put on the grill.
Did you know that according to nfpa.org July is the peak month for grill fires (18%), including both structure, outdoor or unclassified fires, followed by June (15%), May (13%), and August (12%). Guess what month we’re in...August! On top of that many of us are home more than we have been in previous years due to the health pandemic we’re all trying our best to avoid. With that in mind, many are cooking at home more than usual. If you’re that cook that happens to be a grill master here are some tips that can help keep you safe.
- Make sure your gas/coal grill is away from your home. Don’t grill too close to your home or in your garage. The smoke needs an exit and in case of a fire, you should be 10ft or more from your home.
- Have a fire extinguisher, sand, and a spray bottle of water. The spray bottle of water is to handle small flare-ups. If it begins to get out of hand use your fire extinguisher or sand to put it out.
- Another way to prevent fires, in general, is to keep your grill clean. Not only does it keep out bugs and rodents but it also keeps grease build-up from causing a fire!
Well, what if you follow these tips and still end up having a home or business fire? We’re your fire, water, mold, and sanitization experts! In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your home may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We’ll treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care.
We specialize in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. Give us a call in the event of a fire 256-259-4333
Did you know that we offer reconstruction services to homes and BUSINESSES?!
some downtown apartments, very colorful and modern. They have huge windows and some have decks.
What does that mean to you?
- If your business has a huge, medium or small fire we not only will do the cleaning but we’re able to do structural repairs as well!
What if a pipe burst or toilet floods and causes issues at your business?
- Not only will we be able to clean and sanitize that area we can also repair that cabinet and or replace that flooring.
Maybe you find mold in your business basement, well we can clean that as well! Here recently with everything back open for business we’ve been doing regularly scheduled cleanings for businesses. One cleaning is not enough, check out our next commercial blog to learn more details on how we can service your business for sanitization.
When it comes to your commercial property, we mean business. You need a company that can minimize the disruption to your clients while delivering superior results. Whether you need professional cleaning to make your business shine, or emergency water restoration services, we have the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Can roofing issues cause mold?
On squirrel on top of a roof the other is crawling inside of the roof
A friend of ours noticed she had some low hanging trees which allowed for the squirrels in her year to hop from the trees to her roof. We all thought they were adorable and thought nothing of it. One day she noticed she could hear them inside her ceiling running around. That’s when it became a problem. She gave some animal experts a call to remove the squirrels and had a tree trimmer to trim her trees back some. The problem is she was left with a hole in her roof. Here’s where the story gets worse: She ends up forgetting to get the hole fixed. Not completely forgot but it wasn’t a priority like it was to get the squirrels removed. About 2 months pass and she notices mold in one of her rooms. She figures it’s the change of seasons and decides it’s nothing a little bleach couldn’t get rid of. She was right, but only for the moment. With time that rooms mold issue worsened which lead up to her giving SERVPRO a call. Turns out that a small hole in her roof had begun to mold and was causing more issues in her roof. SERVPRO not only professionally cleaned her room, but their reconstruction team patched up her roof!
It only takes a small water leak, or even excess humidity, for mold to form in your home or business. Then, mold can spread quickly through the property in as little as 48 hours. Mold can produce allergens and irritants, and it has the potential to cause other health effects. If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, don’t wait! Call Us Today 256-259-4333
STORM SAFTEY TIPS
a night sky filled with lightning strikes above a well lit city
We’re thankful for meteorologists also known as the weather people, including our weather apps on our phones. These are the ways we stay informed about incoming storms and inclement weather. So what happens when you see that cloud with the lightning strike on your weather app? How do you prepare for a storm or severe weather? Since you’re not here to respond here are a few tips:
- Keep a storm safety kit. Yes, even if you have a storm shelter you’ll need this kit. The best part about it is you can make it yourself so include things like a flashlight & the batteries needed, non-perishable food, water supply, you may want to keep a copy of your insurance documents in there, a first aid kit and many other things.
- Keep candles & a lighter! In the event of a power, outage candles can be a real lifesaver!
- STAY INSIDE! We know it may look beautiful or maybe you’re just nosey to see what’s going on. Stay inside!
- Stay away from trees and damaged power lines! In the event, you don’t have a shelter or you happened to not follow #3 please stay away from trees and damaged power lines.
Our tips don’t prevent damage done to your business or home. The good news is when you or your insurance professional calls SERVPRO, our staff is prepared for whatever is required. We are a locally owned and operated company with the ability to respond to your call no matter the size! Our goal is to provide you with the quickest and most professional restoration experience. We know that emergency situations are never an enjoyable time, but we strive to make life get back to normal quickly and smoothly. If you have an emergency home or business restoration need, call SERVPRO! We are here to help!
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 256-259-4333