Water Damage Do's and Don'ts
When a water damage situation occurs, you may be thinking “What next?” If the water is clean, you are encouraged to follow these guidelines to ensure you are doing all the right things and staying away from the wrong:
- Shut off the water source if possible
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature
- Remove oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
- Do not enter areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpeting.
Be sure to call SERVPRO of Jackson and DeKalb Counties at 256-845-4402 if you experience water damage. We’re ready for whatever happens to make it “Like it never even happened.”