Statistics on Business Recovery
- Almost than 40% of businesses never reopen after a disaster. (FEMA)
- 75% of small businesses do not have a disaster recovery plan. (Nationwide)
- 52% say it would take at least 3 months for them to recover from disaster.
- 26% of business owners believed that there was a low likelihood that they or their business would be affected by natural disaster.
The Eastern Kentucky University Department of Safety, Security, and Emergency Management (EKU) has put together a very informative graphic on the subject of business preparedness. The link to that infographic is (HERE).
Here are some statistics cited by EKU's "TOP NATURAL DISASTERS that Threaten Businesses":
- Between the years 2000-2013, natural disasters cost the global insurance industry around $37 billion
- In totality, natural disasters have cost the global economy $2.5 trillion
- 1 in 3 small business owners say they have been personally affected by a storm or extreme weather
- Small businesses, on average, lose $3,000 a day after closing due to a major storm
- 84% of small businesses do NOT have disaster insurance
- Additionally, 71% of owners do not own a backup generator in case of power outage
- On May 18-22 of 2013, Severe Weather caused $3.8 billion in economic loss adding to the total of $16 billion dollars in economic loss nationally for the year 2013.
- Every state in The Southeast is most at risk for Hurricane damage with Texas being the largest target of Natural Disasters in 2013
Tips for Creating a Successful Emergency Ready Plan
- Let the professionals help you. Work with an emergency restoration company for assistance in creating your emergency ready profile.
- Identify and label utility shut-off locations.
- Identify local utility contact information.
- Identify local emergency contact information such as fire, police, and hospital contacts.
- Establish main internal contacts for purposes of employee safety and emergency work authorization.
The SERVPRO Ready Plan is a tool for property managers and owners, both residential and commercial. It allows for the creation of an Emergency READY Profile. Please contact one our Business Development Representative to setup your free Emergency Ready Profile.
Here to Help!
If you have any question, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Jackson Dekalb Walker Counties!