Moldy Food and Drinks
Mycotoxins in My Food/Drink?
Don't make your midnight snack in the dark!
We've all been in the same situation. It's late at night and you just can't sleep without filling your stomach with a nice sandwich. Oh no! You open the bread cabinet and find your slices have mold on the corners. Do you still eat it? According to Science, you shouldn't. Even if you tear off that translucent green part, mold will still be in the bread. Mold, like plants, have root systems. So unless you want a mouthful of fungus you might need to make a midnight trip to the store or just skip the snack altogether.
What happens if I eat mold?
According to the USDA, some molds contain "mycotoxins". Now what is a mycotoxin you might ask? Great question! Mycotoxins are a property of foodborne molds that have the potential to make you sick. Some scientists disagree on the severity of sickness these mycotoxins can produce, but either way, who wants to eat mold? Not me.